Welcome to BritVics - The place to be[]

BritVics (Brit Vic) is a community portal for Expats living in, or planning to move to, the state of Victoria in Australia.

If you are not able to find the answer to a question you have, please join us on the BritVics Forum and let us know! (Or try a wider potential audience at the Help desk here.)


  • Shipping
  • Flights
  • To do list
  • Furniture
  • Pets
  • Appliances
  • Once you get here


  • How to transfer money over?
  • How to transfer pensions over?
  • Who to use?
  • Australian Banks
  • Opening accounts from abroad
  • Opening a account


  • Links to sites where you can look for work
  • Working ethics, what it is like to work in Aus?
  • How to apply for work, from aus and from abroad?

CV and references[]

  • What needs to be in the CV
  • How to get one together


  • How to find schools?
  • Private or public?

Medical issues[]

  • Medicare
  • Private health insurance
  • Ambulance services
  • Hospitals
  • How to transfer over prescribed meds?
  • where are the pharmacies and how good are they?
  • SES

Suburbs and housing[]

  • Collection of reviews from different suburbs
  • Travel times
  • Renting a house in Victoria
    • Renting with pets
  • Buying a house in Victoria
  • Selling a house in Victoria
  • House quality
  • Swimming pools
  • F.I.R.B.


  • Water
  • Electricity
  • Gas


  • General taxation
  • Income tax
  • Property tax
  • GST
  • State Taxes & Stamp Duty


  • VicRoads
  • Public transport
  • Melways, maps and satnav
  • Importing your Car
  • Buying, leasing and renting cars
  • Car insurance
  • Victorian Drivers Licence
  • Fuel
  • Auto Maintenance
  • Driving and parking

Importing your car[]

  • Prerequisites
  • Process
  • Costs


  • Telephone
  • Internet
  • Mobile Phones
  • Televisions


Animal life[]

  • Spiders, snakes and other annoyances
  • How to spot them
  • How to avoid them
  • What to do if you get bit?
  • Insects

Emotional support[]

  • How to best convince kids to move
  • How to tell to those who you leave behind
  • How to handle the downs

Visas and citizenship[]

  • Visa Types
  • How to get one
  • Evidence
  • Police Checks
  • Medicals
  • Immigration Agencies


  • What to do
  • Daily living
  • Sports
    • AFL / Footy
    • Rugby
    • Soccer
  • Activities
    • GeoCaching


  • The drought
  • Water Restrictions
  • changes in yearly weather
  • The Sun
  • UV radiation
  • Slip Slap Slop


On-line Services[]

Victoria StartPage is a collection of links to on-line services useful for migrants.