South Australia is, roughly, the southern half of the strip of land between Western Australia and the eastern mainland states. Planned British settlement began in 1836 under Governor John Hindmarsh.
Its Capital is Adelaide.
Largest city outside the Adelaide metropolitan area is the mining town Whyalla, "where the outback meets the sea". It also has whales.
- South Australia is the only place in Australia where Grade 7 is still in Primary School, not Middle/High School.
- South Australia was award winning wine (18 wine regions)
- voted Australia's most liveable city
- the seafood capital of Australia
- Only mainland state with an ALP government. PM Mr Jay Weatherill
ALP 26 Lib 18 Ind 3 (Lower house)
In the upper house, there are 2 representatives of the No Pokies party of Mr Nick Xenephon.